Kaspersky researchers have discovered a new piece of Android malware in a “cleaner” app meant to free memory for Google’s operating system, but it can do in the background a list of malicious activities like:
- Sending SMS messages.
- Enabling Wi-Fi.
- Gathering information about the device.
- Opening arbitrary links in a browser.
- Uploading the SD card’s entire contents.
- Uploading an arbitrary file (or folder) to the master’s server.
- Uploading all SMS messages.
- Deleting all SMS messages.
- Uploading all the contacts/photos/coordinates from the device to the master.
And if you connect your phone to the computer the malware execute a file that control your microphone and record your talk and then send it back to the attacker after encrypting it.
The fact that this was found in an app that is on Google play is very disturbing, but in general it is recommended to only download apps from Google play and to check the number of users who downloaded the app and check the review so you can be on the safe side.